Monday, December 19, 2011

Creamy Potato Chowder and Brownie Houses!

Today's recipe was creamy potato chowder. It came from a blog called Real Mom Kitchen. Here is the recipe (slightly modified from the website):



Crock pot Potato Chowder
8 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup onion, chopped
6 cups of chicken broth
1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese
½ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
Dried parsley or sliced green onions for garnish – optional


Combine potatoes, onion, water, bouillon, and chicken soup in the crock pot.Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender. Add cream cheese to crock pot and blend.Top with bacon and parsley or onions before serving. 



Now, I did not use onion, because I don't like onions and/or peppers in my food, though I like the flavor, so I just used a couple of dashes of onion powder instead. I also added a couple dashes of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Probably not even a teaspoon. I was VERY happy with this meal, though I would change a couple things/modify what the recipe says.

I did not peel the potatoes. The recipe did not say which should be done, so I left the skin on, and although it was edible, the skins were falling off the potatoes in the chowder, so it made it a little awkward to eat. I cooked it on high for 4-5 hours, instead of the 8-10 hours on low it called for, just because of timing for dinner. It turned out fine, although I wish it would have been a but thicker. I don't know if cooking it longer on low would have helped. I also could have used flour to thicken it up, but I never mess with the recipe on the first try. The only other thing I would try, would be crispier bacon. That is the only thing I used as a garnish, and because I then mixed it in the bowl, it was not nearly crispy enough to be in the soup. I was really looking for that "crunch" and didn't get it. I also wish I had softened the cream cheese, and given it at least an hour to melt in to the soup. I wasn't planning on waiting so long, but it did eventually melt.

Overall, GREAT meal, VERY filling. I wouldn't imagine it would be too unhealthy, since it is mostly chicken broth and potatoes. Highly recommend this recipe!! I ended up using 2 larger potatoes and 2 medium ones, and that seemed to be a good amount. I will absolutely make this again!!



Now for dessert, we had some fun!! My mother in law bought Savannah and I a Halloween Haunted House brownie kit on super clearance, a week or so ago. I decided we could make cute little Christmas houses! Savannah probably ate more candy than she actually put on her house, but it was a lot of fun. She made a clown out of M&Ms, her words, not mine!! hehe. Nice part is, I lined the foil trays WITH foil, so i can re-use the trays!!


Now to try and sleep. Not sure what is to come tomorrow (today??) but I will update if it's something worth posting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment